Health Benefits Of Eating Raw Tomatoes Regularly
Although tomatoes are frequently used in sauces and other types of cooked foods, the nutrients and compounds in the raw fruit can positively affect your health in many ways.
Raw tomatoes are often found in salads or blended into smoothies or juices.
Many of the nutrients, antioxidants and other beneficial compounds in raw tomatoes may prevent or help treat a wide range of health issues. The health benefits of tomatoes include:
1) Helping to alleviate menopausal symptoms.
2) Helping to lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Diets rich in tomatoes have been shown to reduce “bad” cholesterol, which in turn improves the health of your arteries and heart.
3) Increasing your production of serotonin, a neurotransmitter known for helping to regulate your mood,pain management and digestion.
A 2016 study in the Journal of Food Bioscience assessed 38 different fruits and vegetables and found that the highest levels of serotonin were found in cherry tomatoes.
4) Improving the health of your skinand reducing your risk of developing a sunburn.
5) Promoting weight loss. Regular consumption of tomatoes has been associated with reduced waist circumference, body weight and body fat. The serotonin in tomatoes also can impact your gastrointestinal motility, which impacts digestion and weight loss.
6) Reducing the risk of cancer, particularly breast and prostate cancer.
7) Reducing inflammation. The antioxidants in tomatoes can also help to improve the functioning of your immune system.