Olisa Metuh denies telling court he shared N400m received from Dasuki
Olisa Metuh, the former spokesperson of PDP, has denied informing the Federal High court Abuja that he received N400 million from former National Security Adviser, Dasuki Sambo.
EFCC spokesperson, Wilson Uwujaren, released a statement last week Friday September 27th in which he alleged that Metuh who appeared before Justice Okon Abang, narrated how he distributed the N400million he collected from Dasuki in 2014. Uwujaren in the statement, said Metuh told the court that the money was for a “special national assignment,” in the lead up to the 2015 general election. Read here.
In an application filed at a Federal High court, Metuh accused Wilson Uwujaren of wilful misrepresentation of court proceedings.
At the resumed hearing of his case before the court today Monday September 30th, counsel to Olisa Metuh, Abel Ozioko, informed the court of the alleged contemptuous publication, which he described as malicious, mischievous and deliberate misrepresentation intended to mislead the public, blackmail the court and derail the course of justice.
Metuh’s counsel told the court that the statement released by the antigraft agency did not reflect the proceedings in court on Friday, September 27th. According to Ozioko, the statement held outright falsehood and distortions aimed to “mislead the unsuspecting public” on issues regarding the case.
Ozioko stated that contrary to claims in the EFCC publication, Metuh
“never admitted receiving any money from Col. Sambo Dasuki, neither did he admit to have shared the N400m duly released to him by President Goodluck Jonathan, for an approved special national assignment to individuals for other purposes. The publication was deliberately designed to injure and drag the integrity of this honorable court in the mud and derail a fair trial by selling to the Nigerian public an impression that the defendant admitted receiving N400m from Col. Sambo Dasuki and shared it for political purposes.
My Lord, this is very mischievous. It may lead to an outcry and public vilification of the integrity of this court when eventually the court looks at the hard evidence before it and takes a decision. If that decision is not in line with the impression the EFCC is creating in the mind of the public by this type of publication, the court will be accused of bias.”
Ozioko asked the court to protect its integrity and put an end to the media trial in Metuh’s case by ordering Uwajeren to appear before it to show why he should not be committed to prison for contempt and misrepresentation of proceedings.
In his ruling, Justice Abang fixed Monday, October 7th for hearing of the application to determine Uwajeren’s fate.